Goshen Township Historical Society
Goshen Twp. Historical Society Campus
Our Historical Reference Library is moving!
A treasure trove of historical books, photos and documents, the GTHS Library is a valuable resource for anyone seeking historical information on Goshen, as well as its families and events throughout the decades.
Staffed by GTHS members and longtime Goshen residents, our volunteers are happy to assist you with research requests or show you the many fascinating items that make up this unique and important collection.
In January, our historical reference library will be moving to the second floor of our museum. Until the move is complete, the library contents are not available to the general public. To place a research request, contact Susan Barnett at 513-722-3459 email email@example.com.
Please remember that we are an all-volunteer organization and completing a thorough review of materials to accommodate your research request may take several weeks. Donations for research requests are appreciated and can be made by credit card directly on our home page.
Winter 2016-2017 open for group tours by appointment only. To request an appointment, email us. General public open hours resume March 2017.
Now the home of the Goshen Township Historical Society, it was the Hawkins family who christened the house "The Anchorage" during their residence in the 1940's. The house' history, however, began more than 100 years earlier as a humble farmhouse. In fact, The Anchorage is one of four stone houses built in the area at about the same time. Today only three remain.
Benjamin Thacker is believed to be the first owner of the house, which was built sometime between 1825 and 1830. Constructed of limestone quarried from O'Bannon Creek, the walls of the house are 10-12 inches thick, with chimneys built inside for warmth. There were originally three rooms up and three rooms down, including a large "keeping room," three fireplaces on the first floor and one on the second. A full basement with rock foundation runs under the front or main part of the house.
Dr. Daniel Lyman lived in the house during the late 1800's until his death in 1910. He added a frame addition of three rooms for a laboratory and office (called a surgery) at the rear of the building. Dr. Lyman’s surgery no longer stands, but later owners and tenants made their own additions and improvements. Fortunately all were careful not to significantly alter the home's architectural integrity.
In 1993 the Goshen Historical Society renovated and moved into The Anchorage which now serves as an historical museum. Predominately an historic house museum filled with period antiques, many with a Goshen connection, the building also includes the Goshen Room, which features changing exhibits throughout the year. Membership meetings, special events and community functions are held regularly at the museum. The Anchorage is open to the public March - December on Tuesdays from 10am to noon, and by appointment throughout the year.
Cook log cabin at the Marr Education Center at Cook Farm is located next to Goshen High School at 6707 Goshen Road.
The Society has restored the house to the original early 1800's authenticity as a part of our community's history and heritage, and as an educational facility for the students of the school district.
It is believed the log cabin was built around 1804 by German craftsmen for Jacob Stroup. The house and farm were purchased by James Cook in 1875. The Cooks lived and farmed this property in Goshen for over 100 years. Miss Aurelia E. Cook, heir and member of the original Cook family, was a revered teacher in the Goshen School system. Miss Cook devoted her life to the education of the Goshen community. She lived on the farm in the log house (which received additions and many other modifications over time) until her death in 1995. It is fitting that the Goshen schools, to which Miss Cook devoted her life, can be viewed from her old family home.
The property also includes a recently restored bank barn, as well as a carriage barn, smoke house and outhouse. The foundation of a spring house remains, although the building has since collapsed. The Society is committed to the restoration of all these structures to exhibit farm life from the Pioneer period (1880s) through the Depression Era (1929-1940).
This site, now called the Marr Education Center at Cook Farm, has already become a focal point of our school system and community. The Historical Society operates the site for tours, reenactments and education symposiums. Donations for tours are appreciated and can be made by credit card directly on our home page.
The cabin has become a popular backdrop for professional photographers. Photographers who wish to use the interior of the cabin or bank barn for photo sessions should schedule an appointment using the form below. The charge is $35 per hour, payable by credit card on our home page OR enjoy unlimited sessions by appointment with a $50 annual corporate membership.