Jacob Myers - Goshen's First Permanent Settler
Jacob Myers was born in Penn's Valley, Centre County, Pennsylvania in 1775. In 1798 he purchased a farm on a branch of the Obannon Creek, two miles south of what is now Goshen, Ohio. He loaded his pony with a sack of potatos, an axe, grubbing hoe, rifle, tomahawk and hunting knife and made his way through the wilderness to his new farm. He first planted potatoes, then cleared the land, and built a cabin and pig pen before sending for his wife Eva (nee Frybarger). Jacob's first son was born at the Waldschmidt's Settlement in Camp Dennison. His second son John was born in 1800 and is the first recorded white child born in Goshen. By 1813 Jacob was successful enough to build a larger frame home for Eva and their growing family. This "new" home was considered a palace by Goshen standards of the time. Eva died in 1831 and soon after Jacob married his second wife Elizabeth Reader. Before his own death in 1843, Jacob donated land for to be used for a school and adjacent burial ground, now known as Myers Cemetery. Jacob, Eva and other Myers descendants are buried in Myers Cemetery.
Drs. Josiah and Daniel Lyman - Goshen's Early Physicians
Dr. Josiah Lyman moved to Goshen from Vermont in 1816 and became the town's first resident physician. He later also served as Goshen's first postmaster. Josiah practiced medicine in Goshen until 1824, when he moved to nearby Batavia.
Josiah's son Daniel followed in his father's footsteps and also became a doctor. Daniel graduated from Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati. After marrying, he first practiced in nearby Owensville before moving to Goshen in 1855. In 1860, Daniel purchased a stone house on 21 acres from its original owner Benjamin Thacker, and added an office and two treatment rooms to the rear of the house, referred to as a "surgery." Daniel Lyman was a familiar sight, traveling the dirt roads by horse and buggy, calling on patients throughout Goshen and the surrounding area. Following his father's advice, Daniel admonished the vices of tobacco and alcohol. By the 1880's, Dr. Lyman was one of four doctors in Goshen. Although his surgery is long gone, Dr. Daniel Lyman's stone house still stands and is now the historical museum and home to the Goshen Twp. Historical Society.
John Irwin - Established First Methodist Meeting House
After serving in the Revolutionary War, Irwin came to Goshen from Connelsville, PA around 1800. He settled on a tract of land where Irwin Cemetery now lies. John Irwin was very active in the Methodist Church. The early Methodist meetings were held in his home, a log cabin he built in 1811.
Capt. Willam S. Brunson Randall - Hero Son of the Civil War
Born in 1833, William was the youngest child of early Goshen settler John Sr., who built the stately brick home at the corner of Shiloh Road and Woodville Pike. William was a captain in Company C Second Regiment OVI. His regiment was organized at Camp Dennison in August 1861 and immediately sent to the front, where they served under the command of Col. Ansen McCook. At the Battle of Chicamauga, Capt. Randall was captured by the Confederates and sent to an officers' POW camp called Libby Prison. In a daring escape, Randall tunneled out of the prison with several other men. After the war, in the 1880s, Randall wrote a series of articles on the war, prison life and his escape from Libby Prison, published in the "Buckeye Volunteer."